Thursday, December 23, 2010

Is it Wrong to Give a 'Used' Item to your Wife as a Gift?

Scenario -

I've just recently been asked by a male friend if it's okay for a man to give a gift to a woman that has been used by someone else?... "Such as" I asked "pawned jewelry, estate jewelry or a used appliance?" ...he laughed and wasn't sure it made a difference but I assured him after a few moments of deliberation it makes a difference and is just a wee bit complicated a) because every receiver is different and b) the gift itself would also play an important factor.


Personally, I think that depending upon the sincerity or reason behind the gift then the end result would play out accordingly... such as...lets say your spouse came home with a used Kirby vacuum that has no box, no instructions, no extra pieces, is crusty dirty and looks well, used!... I'd think a big fat no is in order if he thinks I'm going to clean it, then clean with it!


But, lets say for arguments sake the gift is estate jewelry like a stunning bracelet or a pawned diamond ring or a gorgeous pair of earrings, would it be okay to gift a 'used' item then? Remembering that it is always the thought that counts...I say 'go for it' but please be sincere with the gift and the reason behind buying it and giving it (and perhaps don't advertise it came from smokey Joe's as opposed to Tiffanys!)

p.s. by the way boys, do not under any circumstances bring your wife home an appliance as a romantic 'gift' at any time of the year unless, you want to sleep on the couch for the rest of it!!!    

...so please, my awesome readers...let me know what you think and feel on this subject so we can help out our fellow man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, have an awesome day!

Search the Web