Monday, December 21, 2009

All in Moderation...Portion Control

...all in moderation is a term I grew up with and seemed to always pertain to things that bring pleasure and joy, such as sugary treats!! All of which my parents regulated closely. My intake of goodies and all the sweet stuff that made being a kid so great touched my lips on special occasions only, or so they thought. Geez, a large chocolate bar could last for weeks in my Dad's glove compartment (his personal stash) and that was utter torture for me, one had to get creative.

My parents only meant well and had my own best interests at heart, I knew that and am thankful. However, that didn't stop me from being a sneaky brat and snitching my own rasher of goodies. With a hidden spoon I could mow down on ice cream & dry chocolate cake mix on the sly. Or I'd crack open the pop (which was for company only) and have equal drinks from each and replace the lid, sneak extra vitamin C's. Whatever it took. Yes, I knew this was wrong but I was willing to risk it. Oddly enough though, when given the chance, not ever did binge eating or pigging out cross my mind. I only ever just wanted the choice to have a treat or not have a treat and savoured every tasty morsel as though it were my last.

This habit has since transpired into my adult life. But now my sweets include alchohol and nothing is stashed away! Sadly, alchohol is not in the food guide nor in the food pyramid diagram for portion control. Meaning, none is best.




Living an 'all in moderation' lifestyle helps to keep me pretty fit and healthy as well, I'm content with my choices and don't feel as though I'm being deprived. I do not deny my body anything it craves (within reason, of course). If I want chocolate I have chocolate. If I want a drink, I have a drink. If I want extra, extra cheese on my pizza I'm gettin' it! The catch is I don't have to eat 5 chocolate bars, I'm happy with a square or two. I don't have to get hammered the glow from a social drink or two is great. And, I don't need to eat 6 slices of that delicious, cheesy pizza just a slice or two.

This is a learned trait not a chosen one and was developed over time. For yourself will power, self control and the realization that you can have your cake and eat it too may be just the inspiration you need.




Measuring an exact, proper 'portion' can be tricky so I like to keep it simple. Open your hand and focus on just the palm, that is approximately a portion. If you heap your food into piles so it drips off the sides and there's no gaps on your plate, you've got way too much! You need to utilize your self control knowing scales and measuring cups are now where to be found.

Think smart. If you keep justifying the need to stuff your face, then portion control and living an all in moderation lifestyle will take that much more practise. Take the following video and view as an example of how NOT to moderate...







1 comment:

  1. LOL I jsut love that picture! hehehehe.....im a fan of PC as well...it works....increases longevity too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, have an awesome day!

Search the Web