Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Does geography play a result in your overall weight and lifestyle?

After visiting the western side of Canada (currently reside in Ontario) I've noticed that the women of the Okanagan Valley seem much healthier than those from the Central Ontario area. Both places are somewhat similar (although one is dry, more moderate in climate and mountainous) they're both known for summer and winter recreation and are considered desirable locations in either province.

Back to what I've noticed...

- women in both areas seem to smoke a lot and yes, more than men.
- in BC, women of all ages seemed more physically fit and in shape, regardless of their age!
- within the Okanagan they offer 1/2 orders in most restaurants (and no, not for half the price ;)

Is climate a factor? Exercise doesn't have to stop because the temperature below -20! ...their is an heir about the valley, more so the Kelowna and surrounding area, almost like a 'look at me, I'm hot' competition. A keep up with Jones feel that goes beyond materialistic goods and has incorporated physical appearance.. Or, is it they are more educated about healthy living and have the desire for a long, happy and healthy life? Wouldn't anyone want that regardless of their location? Perhaps there's something in the water, out in the east that is ;) I've often wondered that myself...

Maybe society does play some factor but does geography also result in your overall weight and the choices one makes?

Oh, and yes I am currently a smoker...bad, yes I know but, I am quiting. Date? Not sure but it could be much sooner than later, as I'd thought. I'll keep you posted on that one! Best part of all is that I know I can quit because I've done it before and although it's one of the hardest things I've done, I lived to tell the story and so did those around me ;) so I can certainly do it again!

Canada is #11 on a list of Obesity statistics shown by website Nation Master Obesity by Country online chart and the US is #1 with South Korea being on the very bottom out of 28 countries!  
 
Note to self: look into diet, lifestyle and geography of South Korea...do they eat rice, I sooo don't like rice!  ...just googled it and found they eat a lot of seafood, yummy but also what we consider man's best friend so, I'll just stick my routine 5' 7" at 115lbs at 40 years of age 'cause it's working for me. And yes, when I quit the smoking my size may change but I'm okay with that. I'm aware of just what I did wrong last time when I quit. No food rewards! Get it, NO food rewards!!!


We, as a society, would never accept what's pictured above and would more than likely freak out. Yet, once this adorable baby becomes a youngster, youth, teen, young adult and then adult, society as a whole backs off and some cases even encourage the behavior. What's with that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, have an awesome day!

Search the Web